Saint John Chrysostom on Marriage

Husbands, never call her simply by her name, but with terms of endearment, with honour, with much love. Honour her, and she will not need honour from others; she will not want the glory that comes from others, if she enjoys that which comes from you. Prefer her before all, on every account, both for her beauty and her discernment, and praise her.

Weddings are not allowed in Church:

  1. A) from 12th December until Christmas;
  2. B) during Lent;
  3. C) from 1st to 15th August;
  4. D) on 5th and 6th January;
  5. E) on 29th August (Beheading of St. John the Baptist);
  6. F) on the feast of the Holy Cross (14th September);
  7. G) between a member of the Orthodox Church and a non-Christian, or with a member of a denomination not baptising in the name of the Holy Trinity.

The best man/woman (koumbaros/a) must be a member of the Orthodox Church in good standing. A non-Orthodox person can simply serve as a witness, although not as an active participant.

In accordance with the laws of England and Wales, the ceremony of Civil Marriage should take place before the Ecclesiastical Marriage.

1) The couple should notify their local Registry Office of their intended wedding date;

2) Having booked a date for the Church Wedding, the couple should make an early appointment to see their local priest. During that meeting, they will have to sign an application for the Archbishop’s licence in the presence of two witnesses, stating that they are not related to each other within the prohibited degrees, and each of them must produce a certificate from the Church where they were baptised stating that they have not contracted a marriage.

In the cases of a mixed marriage, the non-Orthodox member should:produce his/her Baptismal Certificate.

In the case of a second marriage, the person concerned should produce either a Divorce Absolute from the Civil Courts if the previous marriage took place only at the Registry Office, as well as a Divorce Certificate from the Ecclesiastical Court if the previous marriage was solemnised in an Orthodox Church.

If the previous spouse has died, then only the Death Certificate need be produced.